Just like most of my recipes, I created this recipe for my family as an after dinner desert. My goal was to add protein to the desert, at the same as adding fresh fruit, with some sugar for taste, but not too much sugar. Once this desert is made, it tastes just like an apple turnover, but it is made with strawberries and cream cheese. The crispy brown texture you see in the picture is actually white table sugar that caramelized, and once transferred to the plate, it gets hard like candy, but soft enough to eat. OUTSIDE OF DESERT IS VERY HOT BECAUSE OF CARAMELIZED SUGAR, AND INSIDE IS VERY HOT BECAUSE OF FILLING, SO PLEASE LET COOL BEFORE EATING. This recipe is for 8 Cream Cheese and Strawberry Pillows. Here we go……
Step 1 – Prepare you filling.
- 2 cups of cleaned and washed strawberries, stems removed, diced into tiny little pieces (you will need a total of 8 tablespoons of chopped strawberries
- 1/2 block of cream cheese, softened (I used the full fat version, because it is lower in carbohydrates)
- 8 teaspoons powdered sugar (also called confectioner’s sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix all above ingredients together very well, and put to the side.
Step 2- Prepare your “pillows” by stuffing and folding them.
- 8 small flour tortillas (32 grams each, or the size of a soft taco, or small burrito)
- non stick cooking spray
- a little vegetable oil for frying (about 1/4 inch or less-I tried using the non stick cooking spray instead of the oil, but they were just not “closing” and staying together and I had to add oil which got me the results I was looking for)
- white table sugar
- non stick pan or skillet
- plate sprayed with non stick cooking spray, or greased with a little oil or butter (please do not make the same mistake that I did when I first made these…..do not use napkins on a plate to “drain” your dessert….because of the caramel, they stuck to the paper. LOL. I am here for you to learn from my mistakes. 🙂 )
In the picture I have posted, you will see the toothpicks holding the “pillow” closed. You do not need toothpicks for your “pillows”. I only used them to demonstrate how to make the desert. It is time to warm your oil on medium heat (and please do not feel like you have to have the desert swimming in oil, it is only to wet the bottom of your pan). While your oil is heating, make your 8 pillows by placing 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese and strawberry mixture in the middle of your tortilla. Fold your two sides over, like putting a blanket around a baby, and then close the other two sides to create the “pillow”. Carefully place your “pillows” in the hot oil, and cook until lightly browned on both sides, which will take a few minutes, flipping over carefully as needed. Right before they are a beautiful toasty color, sprinkle a little sugar on both sides and continue to brown until sugar has caramelized (I keep flipping them as neede to achieve even coloring and crispiness from the caramelized sugar). The sugar will start off white, but get brown, and it will look liquidy, but will harden once you remove from the pan. Carefully remove “pillows” one by one, when you feel they are ready. OUTSIDE OF DESERT IS VERY HOT BECAUSE OF CARAMELIZED SUGAR, AND INSIDE IS VERY HOT BECAUSE OF FILLING, SO PLEASE LET COOL BEFORE EATING. That’s it !!!! Enjoy !!!! It’s so creamy on the inside and tastes like a turnover. 🙂 Please share recipe and like my Facebook page, The Grecian New Orleanian. Thank you for the support, and have a blessed day. 🙂