Here is an easy to make, home made, spaghetti sauce that my family loves, and I hope you will, too. In addition to using it on pasta, it can also be used as a pizza sauce, as a dipping sauce for your favorite bread, on top of baked eggplant for an Eggplant Parmesan or Pan Seared Chicken Breast, topped with some shredded cheese, or even sauteed with some ground meat for a delicious Meat Sauce. Either way, I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do. Here we go….
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (use vegetable oil if you are fasting)
- 1/2 cup seasoning blend (combination of diced onions, bell peppers, celery, parsley)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 oz cans)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less, if you you are watching salt intake)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (Splenda) OR 1 teaspoon regular sugar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- non stick pan
Saute’ seasoning blend in oil on medium heat for about 7 minutes. Carefully add in your water and all other ingredients. Bring to a slight boil, turn down heat to medium low, and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes, allowing your flavors to “marry”. Making sure to remove lid away from you, please make sure you stir your sauce every few minutes during cooking to ensure no sticking to bottom of pan. That’s it. You’re done.